12 February 2007

crossroads

I am at a crossroads.
Standing here, intermediary
I anxiuosly attempt to look down the nefarious road,
squinting my cobalt eyes forcefully,
attempting to see if I can sneak a little peek
towards the future, deplorably longing to know what lies ahead.
But there is no way to tell
the sly obdurate road is smothered in a blank, taunting fog
delicate enough to allow the onlooker to recognize the continuation and tenacity of the road
but purposefully coagulated and impenetrable to the human eye
revealing only
obscurity.

I am at a crossroads.
I look from side to side and the present besieges me
bored with this existence, the familiarity my comfort and my cage
I know I must move.

I am at a crossroads.
Behind me lies my past, the bitter ghost of who I was, inconsolably tagging along
No matter how far I walk down this aphotic road,
it is always there, a part of who I shall be.
It took me ten years of walking to learn that neither circumvention nor delusion
would shake it from me, I am not a snake molting dead skin.
Oh those were the years, running on down the road thinking I hadn't a single problem that could catch up to me...
What ignorantly blissful years those were.

I am at a crossroads.
Shall I run? That's my first instinct.
My mind says, do not think about fear of the unknown, just go for it!
Get it over with.
But no, I won't run.
I've learned that harsh lesson one too many times.

I am at a crossroads.
The only thing left to do...
walk eagerly ahead into the untold,
trust in the lessons I have learned on my journey
knowing that there's no way to tell what shall ensue,
just that I am going somewhere.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam

This poem is filled with words that convey the theme - stand, look, move, walk, run, past, future, squint. It definitely shows a person at a crossroad. It is also well-structured, looking at the future, in the present, aware of the past. Should she run to the future, and she realizes it is better to just start moving. I like the repetition of the "I am at a crossroads line."

It would be interesting to see how more depth could be added by adding imagery and specificity to the poem. What does that future fog look like? What is the present situation that is so boring? Bring the reader into this world, don't just tell them the world exists. What imagery can convey the past? What interesting twists can be added? You have one already, an interesting typo in the 6th line. These 'freudian slips' are telling and surprising.

Post a Comment