02 February 2007

abandonment

when the times got tough, you left too.
not quite like he did.
but you might as well have.

we had our plan, you fought so intensly for
when things didn't turn out as you so carefully planned
you did what you do best.

under the guise of love and care
you left me before I could leave you.

I know the game, and you beat me at it.
I used to play it with guys who didn't matter.
but this is you and me mom,
the one parent I had left remember?

And now all I can ask is, who is this person that I thought I once knew?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam

This is Thea. I read your Abandonment poem, and I could feel all the emotion in it. It is very very raw. It has a powerful way of unfolding, at first one doesn't know who the 'you' is, then there is the line 'under the guise of love and care you left me...'. then to discover the 'you' is the mother, just hits the reader between the eyes. thank you for writing this.

Post a Comment